The harbour was built in 1828.
The eastern quay is the former trading and cargo port. DFDS (The United Steamship Company) had a steamship route between Copenhagen, Bogense and Vejle until about 1930.
The western quay was the fishing harbour with an auction hall, a fishmonger’s and a smokehouse.
There was a shipyard at the edge. The Aero Mill inside the harbour was built by the engineering company FL Smidth to produce direct current for the power plant. There was also a gas plant, a lime kiln and a cement plant.